Information Collection and Use
The term "personal information" refers to information that specifically identifies you as an individual and is provided and collected by us. Unicash collects personal information when you register and complete an application with us as a customer, when you use Unicash products or services, and when you enter promotions or sweepstakes. Personal information may include such information as your name, mailing address, birth date, phone number, and occupation. We may also obtain financially related information from other sources, with your consent. These may include verifying your employer, personal references, other lenders, and credit bureaus.
We collect, use and disclose your personal information for the following purposes: (the "Assessed Purposes")
- to verify your identity;
- to determine your eligibility for products and services;
- to detect and prevent fraud;
- to compile internal statistics and market research;
- to investigate specific transactions or pattern of transactions to detect unauthorized or illegal activities;
- to comply with the law.
To ensure that you benefit from our full range of products and services, we will, with your permission, share your personal information to the extent permitted by law amongst our franchisees, affiliates or third parties. Such may include, but is not limited to, money remittance providers and bill payment processors.
Having the above in consideration, your personal information may be used, collected and disclosed for the Assessed Purposes, or when required by law. Other than that, the use and access to your personal information is restricted to authorized Unicash personnel.
We may disclose your personal information, in our sole discretion, under special circumstances such as during a fraud investigation, an investigation by the police, or in connection with an investigation of any illegal activity or alleged illegal activity. We may disclose, with your consent, your information to certain third parties such as credit reporting companies, credit bureaus, and credit agencies.
We accept any of the following as your consent for Unicash's existing use and future collection, use and disclosure of your personal information for the Assessed Purposes:
- Your written or oral consent. If you are a repeat customer with previous transactions with us and you are performing another transaction, such as cashing a cheque, it is assumed that the consent, written or verbal, which you gave us when doing the previous or first transaction remains in effect.
Subject to legal, contractual or operational requirements and restrictions, you may withdraw your consent at any time upon reasonable notice. Please note, however, that withdrawing our consent may affect our ability to continue to provide you with the products and services that you have or would like to receive.
You have the right to review or verify your personal information that we have in our possession or control. You have also a right, subject to law enforcements restrictions, to know which third parties have received your information from Unicash. If you want to review your personal information, please make your request in writing to the Privacy Officer at Unicash, at the following address: UNICASH, 5075 Yonge Street, Suite 401, Toronto, Ontario M2N 6C6. We will make our best efforts to reply to such request at the earliest possible convenience. Unicash may charge you a reasonable fee for providing access to your personal information, but only after first advising of the approximate cost.
Unicash has the right to deny your request for access to personal information in the following cases:
- the information is protected by solicitor-client privilege;
- granting access would reveal confidential commercial information;
- doing so would reasonably be expected to threaten the life or security of another individual;
- the information was collected for purposes related to the detection and prevention of fraud;
- the information was generated in the course of a formal dispute resolution process; or
- the information would likely reveal personal information about another individual.
At Unicash, security is a priority. Unicash has physical and electronic safeguards to protect your personal information from unauthorized use, access or disclosure. We retain your personal information for as long as we need it to effectively provide financial and other services to you, our customer. We also retain information to ensure that we meet any legal and/or other potential obligations. When your personal information is no longer needed we take strict precautions to dispose of such information. Unicash continually reviews and upgrades its security to protect its customers.
For more information about our commitment to protect the privacy and confidentiality of your personal information, please ask at the store where you do business. If you feel that your question or concern has not been satisfactorily addressed, please write to:
PRIVACY OFFICER, Unicash
5075 Yonge Street, Suite 401
Toronto, Ontario M2N 6C6